A British schoolgirl has died after eating ice-cream on the Costa del Sol.
The girl, 9, was rushed to Malaga’s Materno Infantil Hospital on Saturday after going into anaphylactic shock following a severe allergic reaction. The youngster, on holiday with her family at a hotel near Fuengirola, was reportedly allergic to milk and nuts.
A spokesman for the hospital where the youngster died, said: “A nine-year-old foreign girl died at this hospital on Monday afternoon.
She was admitted on Saturday evening with anaphylactic shock.
“She was revived and transferred to the Materno Infantil Hospital in Malaga around midnight the same day.”
A spokesman for a regional emergency response coordination centre confirmed the alarm was raised at a hotel in the Mijas area of the Costa del Sol just after 9pm on Saturday.
He said: “We took a call at seven minutes past nine on Saturday evening from a hotel in Mijas saying there was a girl who couldn’t breathe.
“The patient, a nine-year-old girl, was taken to the Costa del Sol Hospital.”
The family were staying at a upmarket holiday resort called Club La Costa World in Mijas, which is run by CLC World Resorts & Hotels.
The resort confirmed in a statement the girl fell ill after eating ice-cream elsewhere and not on site as initially reported.
A spokesperson said: “CLC World Resorts & Hotels would like to offer its heartfelt condolences to the family following the loss of their daughter on 18th February 2019. “Having eaten ice-cream at a local commercial centre, the eight-year old girl suffered a severe allergic reaction.
“Despite the best efforts of doctors, CLC World staff and the emergency services, the young girl was placed on life support but subsequently died.
“CLC World Resorts & Hotels would like to thank its staff and emergency services for their quick and appropriate responses and continuing support for the family at this difficult time.”
The unnamed child is said to have been rushed first to Costa del Sol Hospital near Marbella before being transferred to the hospital in Malaga in a “critical condition” when her condition worsened.
An autopsy was carried out at Malaga’s Institute of Forensic Medicine on Tuesday morning. The results sent to an investigating judge tasked with heading a probe into the tragedy have not been made public as is normal in Spain.
Further tests will now take place at the Institute of Toxicology in Seville to confirm whether her death is linked to an allergic reaction to the food she tasted.
A spokesperson for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: “Our staff are supporting the family of a British girl following her death in Spain, and we are in contact with the Spanish hospital services.”
News of the tragedy emerged as health chiefs confirmed they were probing the death of a woman who fell ill after eating at a Michelin-starred restaurant in the east coast Spanish city of Valencia.
The 46-year-old had eaten wild mushrooms with rice during a meal to celebrate her husband’s birthday.
Owner Bernd Knoller has announced the closure of Riff, which has one Michelin star, until it becomes clear if the death was caused by the meal she ate.